Skip to main content

De La Hoya supports Hatton return, rules out potential clash

Phil D. Jay 
WBN Editor
‘Golden Boy’ happily retired as ‘Hitman’ makes comeback

Oscar De La Hoya has wished Ricky Hatton all the best as the former two-weight world champion readies himself to announce his first fight in three years at the MEN Arena on November 24 tomorrow.

The ten-time world champion, who was strongly linked to a bout against the Mancunian last year, has announced that will not be temtped to follow Hatton back into the professional ranks as he approaches his 40th birthday.

“I wish Ricky all the luck in the world,” De La Hoya told The Daily Mail.

“He's still only 33 and who is to say he should not do this. I support him 100 per cent.

“I am in fighting shape, but I'm 39 and my body would not take it. Nothing will lure me back into the ring, not even the prospect of fighting Ricky.”

A slimmed-down Hatton has reportedly pencilled in a two-fight plan to challenge former foe Paulie Malignaggi for his WBA welterweight title in the summer of 2013 and is thought to be considering Lovemore Ndou for his comeback outing.

Ndou, 41, exclusively told WBN about his willingness to face Hatton before he was forced to put out of a scheduled contest in his native Australia and could well be one of a number of names shortlisted for the return of Britain’s most loved fighter.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragedy of Billy Collins Jr.

Phil D. Jay WBN Editor  Collins after the fight Williams Ray Collins Jr. or Billy Collins Jr. as he became known, was born to a boxing father in Antioch, Tennessee in 1961. His father William Sr, once fought Welterweight Champion Curtis Cokes and wanted his boy to follow in his footsteps, so decided to train Billy himself. Collins Jr. turned pro in 1981, a welterweight, just like his father before him and impressively won his first 14 professional contests, 11 by knockout with eight inside the first three rounds. It was 1983 and Billy was matched up against Puerto Rican journeyman Luis Resto on the undercard of Roberto Duran v Davey Moore at Madison Square Garden in a ten rounder. Resto wasn’t known for his punching power but Billy took a sustained beating for the full ten rounds, his face, badly damaged and his eyes were almost shut. After the fight, which Resto won on decision, Billy’s father shook Resto’s hand and noticed there wasn’t much padding in his gl...

The Ring Magazine P4P Top 10 compared to WBN's P4P Top 10

World Boxing News pound for pound Top 10 (25/11/2011) 1. Manny Pacquaio (53-3-2) WBO Welterweight champion and WBC light-middleweight champion 2. Nonito Donaire (26-1) WBC and WBO bantamweight champion 3. Floyd Mayweather Jr (41-0) 4. Bernard Hopkins (52-5-2) WBC and IBO light-heavyweight champion 5. Juan Manuel Marquez (52-5-1) WBA and WBO lightweight champion 6. Miguel Cotto (36-2-0) WBA "Super" light-middleweight champion 7. Sergio Martinez (47-2-2) 8. Wladimir Klitschko (55-3-0) WBO and IBF heavyweight champion 9. Pongsaklek Wonjongkam (80-3-1) WBC flyweight champion 10. Chris John (44-0-2) WBA “super” world featherweight champion Do you agree or disagree? Have your say on the WBN Facebook wall at  http://www.facebook.com/pages/World-Boxing-News/134654593225151

Derry Mathews willing to offer Scott Harrison title shot

Phil D. Jay  WBN Editor British champion open to fight with former WBO title holder According to Scott Harrison’s manager Alex Morrison, the Scot has been offered the chance to fight British champion Derry Mathews later in the year. The possbile fight hinges on whether Mathews can come through a rematch with Gavin Rees next month at the Motorpoint Arena in Sheffield. Morrison is looking to fast-track his fighter to a world title shot in 2013 and sees the Lonsdale belt as an ideal stepping stone for Harrison as he makes his comeback from a seven-year absence. The 34 year-old fights Brahim Bariz in his first fight since 2005 at the end of the month at the Kelvin Hall in Glasgow and wants to move as quickly as possible on to a potential shot at a world champion. Harrison held the WBO featherweight title on two occasions in the past and now campaigns at lightweight.